Wednesday, March 13

Excerpt from the Virgin Mary's Diary


20th Chisleu
December 16th
Dear Diary;
It has not been so bad after all. I didn't realize how beautiful much of this country is. The olive gardens and fields are such a verdant green at this time of year. I can always anticipate a splendid view over the next hill, which makes all the climbing worth it. We have traveled one day’s journey, and stopped a little while ago. I think the monotonous plodding of the donkey relaxes me. I suppose if I was less used to riding donkey I would be more stiff and sore.
All around us little campfires are brightening up the evening scene. Yosef also has a cheery fire going. He is so caring! He will hardly let me do anything; which is why I am writing in my journal while he bustles around, much to the hilarity of fellow travelers. He seems to think he needs to protect me like I am some fragile vase. He has the wonderful potage that Imma sent along simmering over the fire, and soon I will be munching on some of her good homemade flat bread.
It makes me homesick for her. If I am not careful tears will drip on my parchment, and that would never, ever do.
Abba was sadly unapproachable, and turned away when I wanted to give him a goodbye hug. Oh if only he would believe that something so pure and holy has actually happened to his little tinoki. The angel visit so long ago was wonderful. I wish I could renew that feeling of blessedness more often. It would give me more courage.


P.S. The potage was warm and nourishing; our last hot meal on this trip. From now on we will dip into our leather bags of dried cheese curds, dehydrated fruits, and so on.
Our goat skin will have to be regularly refilled at wells along the way, if we want enough water to drink, and I am a thirsty talitha.
I am weary so must quit. I feel like I could sleep well anywhere tonight. Even on a folded blanket under the stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment